Thursday, July 15, 2010

not again...

The good news is that when I mentioned to Tim that we needed to take Nick to the neurologist, he didn't argue with me. The bad news is that Nick needed to go to the neurologist.

At 12 months he was not pointing, clapping, or responding to his name. So, we got the diagonosis and called Nate's case manager with First Steps. He was not as delayed as Nate, but still qualified. We rounded up the troops again and got started. The benefit was we started with Nick at 18 months instead of 24 months with Nate. We also were able to get the same therapists that worked with Nate.

I was angry again. Why another one?????? We were told that since we had one child with autism, we were 50% more likely to have another child with autism. That really does not seem fair. I mean really.......one special needs child per family is not enough? Our lives were filled with nothing but therapy. We now had a "therapy room." I didn't want one. I wanted boys who talked and played with toys instead of spinning objects and flapping. I wanted my parenting to be about Happy Meals and Disneyland.

I went through a period when I could not stand to be around typical children. It hurt too much to see what I didn't have. I also noticed how some parents were always trying to "one up" another with what their child could do. It was agonizing to listen to. I still have a hard time reading the "Christmas letters" that come in the mail. My kid's accomplishments seem so insignificant when compared to some of the other "select teams" and fabulous vacations.

If another person told me, "God only gives you what you can handle", I think I would have shot someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment