Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the autismobile

I finally met someone who actually understood what I was going through. Her name was Jen and she had two boys that were the same age as my boys and they also had autism. They only lived about 4 blocks from us and her kids attend the same schools as mine. Finally, an ally!

Friday nights were always difficult because both of our husbands weren't home and the kids were worn out from a full week of school and therapy. Since the boys liked riding in the car, we decided to take them for a ride.

We would put all the boys in their pajamas and pack meds. We would pick them up around 5:00 and drive thru a McDonald's and let the boys eat in the van. We would then drive thru somewhere else for Jen and I and just drive.

It was a great time. The boys were seat belted in and happy with their chicken nuggets and fries. Even though they didn't speak to each other, we believed that they liked being around their friends. We drove and drove and drove. Jen and I could talk and not worry that one of the boys was getting into something. They were happy and we were happy. Jen and I were able to vent, cry, or just sing along to the radio. It was very relaxing and therapeutic.

The drive usually lasted 3 hours and always entailed a bathroom stop at a grocery store. Nate lost his first tooth on one of those drives. Jen and I gave the boys their meds so all we had to do was put them in bed when we got home.

It was a ritual that I looked forward to each Friday night. Jen and her boys have moved, so the ritual ended. I still take my boys in the car for a drive when they are having a rough day, but it's not the same. I miss the feeling of camaraderie I shared with someone else who was living it every day like me. I miss the autismobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment