Thursday, July 8, 2010

getting help

So, now I have to call the Department of Mental Health. I can't get an appointment until May...hmmm...I am due in April. I explain this to the lady on the phone and she takes sympathy. I get an appointment in 2 weeks.
Tim and I take Nate in and they do a screening. He is more than 50% delayed in all areas. Nate is now 2 years old and registered at a 6 to 9 months level in all areas. Seeing that on paper is very hard. Somehow, having it on paper makes it more real..... He qualifies for speech, occupational therapy, developmental therapy, and ABA. He will receive 3 hours of speech, 3 hours of OT, 2 hours of developmental therapy, and 20 hours of ABA a week. OK, here's the problem, Tim and I both work full time. How is this going to happen? I may have to quit my job to stay home so Nate can get therapy.
My boys go to a wonderful sitter. She couldn't love the boys more if they were her own. She graciously offers the use of the spare bedroom for Nate's therapy. How did I get so lucky? Not only does she offer the room, she went with us to the ABA training and learned how to sign. She also brushed him and did joint compressions like the OT showed her. Helping Nate also became her mission.
I was delusional. I honestly thought that in a few weeks Nate would be "caught up." Boy, was I wrong. I had no idea how long and hard this was going to be. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It took months to teach him how to wave and clap. Everything became therapy and a learning opportunity. In some ways, we lost the time of just enjoying Nate.
While all this was going on, I had Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment