Friday, July 23, 2010

good help

Even though I felt like I was being royally screwed, some great people have come into our lives. I have been very lucky to have good people in my house, helping me with the boys.

These gals have been through a lot. They were all trained in ABA and learned how to sign. They have been kicked, hit, and cleaned up poop. They have also been vomited on when non-preferred foods are served for dinner. But, they have fallen in love with my boys. They have celebrated every accomplishment and lamented every setback as if they were their own children. I know that while they were working on speech sounds, they were also trying to get the boys to say their names.

The girls have been in my house 20 to 30 hours a week. Another set of hands allows me to take the boys out to the store or to a restaurant. I remember the neurologist telling us to take Nate everywhere because he would always learn something. Every outing, no matter how quick, was important.

I remember being in Target with the boys and some help. I left her and the boys in the snack area with a bag of popcorn and drinks while I ran through the store. As I was walking out of the snack area I heard a woman comment on how it must be nice to have the money to have a nanny. I was so tempted to turn and ask her if she wanted to trade. Having the girls with me is not a luxury, it is a necessity.

Am I sad that there are days that the boys are more excited to see one of the girls than they are to see me? No. My boys are lucky in one way....instead of just having a mommy and daddy, my guys have a much larger immediate family. I also believe that these girls are better people for knowing my boys.

1 comment:

  1. One particular evening, I made the comment "It takes a village ....". I'm sure you have thought the same.

    ReplyDelete