Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It's never enough

A few weeks ago I met a person with an autistic child.  Of course, the conversation turned to therapies....what has worked and what hasn't.  When I asked this person about what they were doing outside of school, this person's reply was that the child gets enough therapy at school and doesn't need any help at home.

I was shocked by this statement.

I don't understand.

How is that enough? 

I am never satisfied with the amount of therapy that the boys get.  I am always pushing for more, more, more.  Anyone who has been in an IEP for my children knows this.  Sure, they are making progress, but I want more.  Not all therapy has to be at the table and not any fun.  I remember when the neurologist told us to take the kids everywhere and they would always get something out of it.  Sometimes, it's just practice waiting in line.  Every experience is an opportunity for learning for these boys.

I push for more because time is not our friend.  I push for more because I want them to have happy, safe, and productive lives.  I push for more because I won't always be here to look out for them..........

1 comment:

  1. Educational therapies are different than medical therapies. My son does not recieve pt at school bc he can safely play on the playground equipment. Speech will not work with food to assist him.to better swallow his food because that is not an educational goal. He cannot focus if he is hungry because he spent lunch pocketing his food and spitting it out (We fixed that issue within 3 months of outside therapy)
    Also, these children are like wet cement as Aaron Likens has put it. If you don't work with it now. Its going to be hard to do it later. Then he shows a clip of a jack hammer busting up concrete.

    ReplyDelete