Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

I am always talking about how the boys' diagnoses have affected me.  Sometimes I forget that they have also affected Tim.

I have never seen a father-son relationship like Tim and his dad's.  The mutual love, respect, and admiration is so beautiful to see.  Tim will always cherish the memories he has from playing football for his dad and then being able to coach with his dad.  The player-coach relationship was able to become a coach-coach relationship.  I am sure that when we found out Nate was a boy, Tim was already planning for this to happen again.  I think that each time we received the diagnosis, Tim's dream of his son's playing football for him became less and less of a reality.

I know that Tim loves his sons with all his heart and accepts them for who they are.  I also know that his heart aches a bit when Nate and Noah don't pay attention when football is on tv.  They also could never handle the noise and crowd at a Ram's football game.  Nate and Noah are both built to play sports, but never will.  I don't think the pain would be as great if they at least could understand the game.  If they were capable, Tim would never force them to play or watch football, that would be their choice.  Tim would support them in whatever sport or activity they were involved in. However, the fact that they don't even have a choice is what is so hard.

Luckily, Tim is having this relationship with Nick.  Nick plays football on a team and Tim helps coach.  Nick loves to play football, but struggles to sit and watch a full game.  I hope that someday Nick cherishes all the memories he will have playing football for his dad the same way that Tim does.  I will always be sorry that Tim will not have this with Nate and Noah.


No comments:

Post a Comment