Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Autism Could Bankrupt Us

Nate got into the Teens in Motion program for this summer.  That's great!  He will have so many experiences and chances for independence.  It's $900.  I know that is reasonable for an 8 week camp, however....autism is very expensive.

We always try to do what is best for the boys.....meds, therapies, and good doctors.  Unfortunately, everything comes at a price.

ABA-
$120 co-pays/week for Nate
$120 co-pays/week for Noah
$60 co-pays/week for Nick

OT-
$20 co-pay/week for Noah
$20 co-pay/biweekly for Nate

Psychiatrist-
$30 co-pay for each boy every 3 months (or sooner if needed)

In-home help-
$11/hour, it varies from 40 to 100 hours a month

Speech-
It's free through the Home Health Care section of our insurance.  Please tell everyone you know to explore this avenue.

Tim and I both teach full-time.  We make too much money to receive help from the government and don't have enough to cover all the expenses ourselves.  When I applied for SSI benefits for the boys, the woman basically laughed at me.  We are on many wait lists for financial help, but are not "needy" enough.  Organizations like Action for Autism are helping.  They pay for one ABA co-pay per boy, per week.  They also covered the $350 for Nate to attend Spring Break Camp.  St. Louis ARC reimburses me $6/hour for the in-home help for up to 250 hours per boy, per year.  I go through those hours like water.

I know there are some expenses we won't have.  I won't be paying car insurance for Nate and Noah.  I also won't be sending them to college.  However, if I had compiled a list of autism expenses since their diagnoses, I think it would rival car insurance and college tuition.

So, gone are some dreams.....bigger house, no.  Condo at the Lake, no.  Tour of Europe, no.  Hello, bigger dreams.....Nate and Noah living in an assisted living facility, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment