Friday, July 10, 2015

Don't make fun of the little yellow bus......

Last night someone I went to high school with made two comments on Facebook making fun of the "little yellow bus."  Since I was friends with this person, the comments showed up in my feed.  I read them and read them again.  I was offended and shocked that someone would still make reference to the "little yellow bus" when he was questioned about his spelling.  He also preceded to refer to the person who questioned his spelling as also having ridden "the little yellow bus."

I stewed for a while and then I did it.  I called him out on it.  Since I have since blocked him, I can't pull up my comment.  However, it did let him know that I found it was offensive.  While he did not reply to my comment, the other person did.  His reply was, "Oh, for fuck's sake."

Well, let me tell you what "for fuck's sake."  That "little yellow bus" was a life saver for us.  Every morning as each of my three children boarded that bus, I knew that they were going to make some sort of progress that day.  Some days it was very small, but other days it was HUGE.  I knew that I was lucky to live in an area that offered all these services for my kids.  I have met many parents with special kids who are not that lucky.  I knew that my kids would be safe and no one would be making fun of them for being different.

So, let's show the "little yellow bus" some respect.  Let's show the people who work with the kids who ride the "little yellow bus" some respect.  It's not always an easy job.  But, most importantly, let's show the kids who ride the "little yellow bus" some respect.  I guarantee they work harder than most kids to learn how to do things that many people take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment