Saturday, January 15, 2011

I feel hope

It's now been 2 weeks of in-home ABA. I am beginning to feel like the tide is turning. We have been given more weapons to fight the battle with autism.

Nate is much more capable than I thought....or actually, more capable than I have time to let him be. It's so much faster and easier for Tim or I to do tasks for him in the morning. Now, the ABA staff can wait and give him the time he needs to be successful. I got the vacuum out last night to run and Nate actually took it from me to run himself. I couldn't believe it.

Noah's whole demeanor is improving. I don't know if it's the structured routine in the morning or the new school. He is sitting for longer periods at the table to eat and is holding his toothbrush himself and attempting to brush his teeth. He has had 2 great weeks at his new school. They told Tim that they are thinking about moving him to a higher functioning room. We hope they remember that he did this in the other building as well. He had 4 to 6 great weeks and then all hell broke loose. We will wait and see.

When I say that I am hopeful, don't think that I believe that Nate and Noah will be cured. I know they won't. I know that they will live in an assisted facility and never drive. I know that they will never marry or have kids. But, I do know that will a lot of hard work, they can gain small bits of independence and live productive, purposeful lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment